Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Oh God, What Have I Done? (Part I)

"We own property together, now you can't get out."

And with those comforting and sarcastic words, my wife and I ended a busy, busy day.

As I mentioned in this breathless post, My Lovely Wife and I were set to purchase our first home, a condominium, where our future baby will grow and play and laugh and occasionally irritate the neighbors.

Yesterday was the day. About 24 hours ago, my wife and I officially purchased a home. And, as anyone who has gotten married and then purchased a home with their spouse can attest: there is a lot more paper work involved in the latter.

To get married in the District of Columbia, we had to plop down about $35 bucks, take a blood test, and sign a single document. To purchase real estate in the state of Maryland, a little more documentation and background information was required. Indeed, it is more difficult to purchase - and subsequently sell- real estate than it is to get married. All this, of course, pales in comparison to making a baby, which can be done for free, in your spare time.

The transition from free-wheeling single to Suburban Dad is nearly complete - those "Old School" quotes ring a bit too close to home now.

I'm comforted by the fact that my baby will have a room of his or her own - not a closet or dresser drawer - and my monthly checks will come back to me, in one form or another, rather than to a leasing company.

Of all the things I saw and signed yesterday, the figure that caught my eye the most was "total payments." The sum of all mortgage payments should my wife and I pay off our mortgage under the current terms. It's a lot of money - more money than I ever considered could pass through me. And that number is when it really hit home - and inspiration for the title of this post.

(Believe it or not there is an "Oh God, What Have I Done? (Part II)" in the works. It is totally unrelated to housing or babies and completely related to the public embarrassment of me! Should be fun for everyone. I'll know more details later this week. How's that for a tease?)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the house! Not sure when I'll be ready to take that sort of plunge... I thought buying a few new pairs of socks yesterday was a big step!

3/28/2007 12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home