Monday, April 30, 2007

Baby Clothing Is Small

We have two shirts, two "onesies" and a pair of Osh Kosh B'gosh overalls just waiting for our daughter, so she's set to be clothed for about 12 hours. If the size of this clothing is any indication we can, in a pinch, cut holes in the finger tips of old gloves and have a few new outfits, as well.


I've had some infant-handling experience before. I know that babies, as a general rule, are small. My niece was born premature and I could cradle her in the crook of my arm like a football when we first met. Gestating inside my wife's belly, my daughter is only going to go so big before it's time to meet the parents.

But still, nothing quite illustrates how tiny a newborn baby is like baby clothing. We're talking swatches of cloth here - no bigger than a dishrag. And my daughter will fit inside of that for a few months. Our last Thanksgiving turkey was larger than my newborn daughter will be - and there were just five of us at that table.


One of the joys of parenthood must be clothing a child. Somewhere in between those times it becomes a chore and after blocking out the time that spitup ruined that brand new Sunday dress, there have to be a few moments where simply putting clothes on a child is bliss. And, by bliss, of course I mean, hysterical.


Both of our baby t-shirts were gifts, and each has a sassy slogan. I've given fellow parents-to-be shirts with choice words on it in the past, and I plan to continue to do so. A cursory search turns up just a few of my favorites, which are below. If it's my turn to dress our daughter, chances are, she'll be wearing something similar. This practice, of course, will last only until her fourth birthday. From ages 4-12, she will wear simple clothing with no words. Following age 12, she will not be allowed to wear words on her clothing of any kind, particularly if those words are "juicy," "sassy," or are written across the bottom of a pair of shorts.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home