Friday, March 02, 2007

Regressing: And Loving It

One of the things that excites me about being a father is that, in a sense, it will bring back my own childhood. Children, from the earliest age, have a serene naivete about them. It's a quality that we lose as we grow older and our imagination and awe gives way to realization and cynicism. Ray Romano, back in his stand-up days had a great example.

Catching his three-year old daughter staring off into the distance, he sidled up next to her and gently asked," What are you thinking about, honey?"

"Candy," she replied.

Granted, I spent a few good minutes debating which kind of Girl Scout Cookies to order this year, but it's been a while since I was engrossed in thought by jujubes.

Having a child, I think, will bring some of that awe back - or at least, like Ray Romano, allow me to live vicariously though my child's eyes.

Beyond candy, though, there are a few things that I can't wait to discover all over again:
  • Dr. Seuss books
  • Going down the slide
  • Being hypnotized by the Teletubbies
  • Legos
  • Frogs and toads
  • Peek-a-boo
  • Shiny objects
  • Buttons that light up when pressed

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude! Frog and Toad was the COOLEST! I want every single one of those books for Lefty. Do you think we can get them from Sweet Pickles?

3/02/2007 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home