Friday, February 23, 2007

She's Eating For Two, I'm Thinking For Three

So I wanted to quit my job the other day.

Not seriously, I didn't - but I felt the way I imagine most of us do when frustrated or temporarily fail to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's a feeling that leaves as quickly as it come, but it stuck around long enough to get me thinking.

I thought my days of selfishness were over the day I said "I do" (more realistically, the day I asked, "Will You?"). To an extent they were, but not like they soon will be.

I think I'm a pretty good husband, one that checks in with his spouse and makes sure there aren't any conflicts when planning activities (activities = euphemism for going out drinking). But the days of carefree spontaneity are quickly drawing to an end.

Spontaneity could mean picking up for a weekend and heading to the beach, or it could be as drastic as up and quitting a job without much of a fallback.

There's a line in the promo for a new David Spade sitcom, probably the only funny line in the show, where Spade is leaving his married friends and says something to the effect of, "yeah, I'm going to do whatever I want."

That mentality doesn't entirely disappear when you get married, but I'm fairly sure it does when you have a child. So the fantasy of up and quitting a job because I get frustrated one afternoon will remain a fantasy - I'll keep my nose to the grindstone (he writes, while at the office) and bring home as much of the bacon as I can.

In the meantime, though, if you're looking for some freelance writing by the only writer who *doesn't* aspire to be a novelist, don't be shy. You wouldn't even have to pay me my full salary - just enough to live on, minus the cost of day care.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home