Tuesday, June 05, 2007

It's it. What is it? It's it.

Twice in the past week I’ve mentioned to strangers that my first child – a daughter – will be born in August. And twice, from men I have never met before, I have been told the unmitigated joy of having a daughter.

My optometrist – at my very first appointment with him – even went so far as to speak in a hushed tone, hunching down to speak with me face-to-face while I sat in the examining room.

“Most people would think that men, men want boys,” he said, “I have four children, girls and boys, the first was a girl, and I cannot even explain it.”

I don't know what“it” is, but I bet I’ll soon learn. I’m thinking that “it” is somewhere in between the following…

…hearing “daddy” for the first time…receiving flowers she has picked…taking in an afternoon tea with her and two stuffed friends…finding her during hide and seek…seeing her wear mommy’s shoes, and nearly falling over…putting a tiara on her head…putting her into a beautiful Sunday dress that wouldn’t fit over my leg…combing her hair and hearing her mock me for not being able to braid it…becoming a horse for her to ride…and right up to that moment where it’s no longer cool to kiss daddy in public.

I’m not sure where “it” is, but I’m sure it’s in there somewhere.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home