Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Estimating Fatherhood

I couldn't decide whether this should be titled "Overestimating Fatherhood" or "Underestimating Fatherhood." In my few weeks as an expectant father, I've noticed some recurring themes in books written for me:
  • Men cannot be expected to successfully care for anything, even a houseplant that feeds off human urine (Admittedly, I may fall into this category, but at least I am aware of it)
  • Men are little more than stimulus/response organisms completing tasks like "purchasing new, safer car" and "bringing mommy applesauce" with similar effort and emotion
  • Men are troglodytes, capable of grunting and hunting, but little more ("Fire Bad!")

Where would I come up with such antiquated notions of men? My friendly neighborhood bookstore. I plugged "new father baby" into Amazon's search engine and here are the first two results I got (all emphasis is mine):

Also on the list:

Looking at some of the other, less offensive books, you'll see the authors are either doctors or women (and sometimes, even lady doctors!).

So, I guess my thesis statement is this: Men and New Fathers as inept organisms: stereotype rooted in biological truth, or self-fulfilling prophecy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home